Most of the research in my group is related to solving analytical problems by analysis of complex samples. A primary tool is NMR spectroscopy (both on solid and liquid samples), although other analytical methodologies are also employed as needed. Applications include determining the composition, microstructure, and morphology of copolymer systems and applying chemometric techniques to spectroscopic data to accurately determine the composition of complex mixtures such as pharmaceutical formulations.
Analytical chemistry, general chemistry, and physical chemistry.
68. "Charge Neutralization in the ESEM for Quantitative X-ray Microanalysis," Robert A. Carlton, Charles E. Lyman, and James E. Roberts, (2004) Microscopy and Microanalysis, 10, 753-763.
67. "A Miniemulsion Approach to the Incorporation if Vinyltriethoxysilane into Acrylate Latexes," Joan Marcu,
Eric S. Daniels, Victoria L. Dimonie, James E. Roberts, and Mohamed S. El-Aasser, (2003) Progr. Colloid Polym. Sci., 124, 31-36
66. "V2O5-SiO2 Xerogels for Methane oxidation to Oxygenates: Preparation, Characterization, and Catalytic Properties," Chuan-Bao Wang, Richard G. Herman, Chunlei Shi, Qun Sun, and James E. Roberts (2003) Applied Catalysis A: General, 247, 321-33.
65. "Incorporation of Alkoxysilanes into Model Latex Systems: Vinyl Copolymerization of Vinyltriethoxysilane and n-Butyl Acrylate," Ioan Marcu, Eric S. Daniels, Victoria L. Dimonie, Cornel Hagiopol, James E. Roberts, and Mohamed S. El-Aasser, (2003) Macromolecules , 36 , 328-332.
64. "Influence of Charge Density and Coverage on Bound Fraction for a Weakly Cationic Polyelectrolyte Adsorbing onto Silica," YongWoo Shin, James E. Roberts, and Maria Santore, (2002) Macromolecules , 35 , 4090-4095.
63. "The Relationship between Polymer/Substrate Charge Density and Charge Overcompensation by Adsorbed Polyelectrolyte Layers," YongWoo Shin, James E. Roberts, and Maria M. Santore, (2002) Journal of Colloid and Interface Science , 247 , 220-230.
62. "Toward and Understanding of the Role of Water Soluble Oligomers in the Emulsion Polymerization of Styrene-Butadiene-Acrylic Acid. Mechanisms of Water-Soluble Oligomer Formation," Xue-yi Yuan, Victoria L. Dimonie, E. David Sudol, James E. Roberts, and Mohamed S. El-Aasser, (2002) Macromolecules , 35 , 8356-8370.
61. "Synthesis and Characterization of [NaO 3 -CH 2 CH 2 -OSO 3 Na] and its Anchored Form, the Surface-Grafted Acid Groups on Zirconium Hydroxide," J. G. C. Shen, T. H. Kalantar, R. G. Herman, J. E. Roberts, and K. Klier, (2001), Chem. of Mat. , 13 , 4479-4485.
60."The Influence of Charge Variation on the Adsorbed Configuration of a Model Cationic Oligomer onto Colloidal Silica," Y. Shin, J. E. Roberts, and M. M. Santore, (2001), J. Coll. and Int. Sci. , 244 , 190-199.